Saturday, October 19, 2013

Succulent Pumpkins With New Friends

     My sweet daughter Lauren helped me set up & name a blog! Thank you sweet girl! So my first picture on here HAS to be of her (ok AND Jamie ;) 
     I've been waiting for an occasion worthy of my first official blog post & today was just that! My sweet new friend Donalyn Dow (my fellow Succulent Fanatics Facebook group member) who I met at the Succulent Extravaganza last month invited me to attend a workshop with her. In an effort to get out & do new things & because it was being held at our Facebook group leader Laura Balaoro's home making succulent topped pumpkins: I couldn't resist! Boy am I glad I went ~ what a wonderful day it was! 
     I headed out early for my trip to San Jose. Luckily Katie (my jeep) & her trusty GPS took me straight there! What a wonderful hostess Laura was! I was the first to arrive & she had a lovely display set out for us of tea, coffee & an array of breads & cookies. I don't think it was a coincidence that the mug I randomly reached for turned out to be my birthday flower "Lilly of the Valley." Do you?
     Nope. I don't believe in coincidences. I KNEW it was going to be a great day from that moment on. Oh & look at the cute cookies:
     Laura was so organized & had everything all displayed for us outside on tables in her beautiful garden. 
      Just look at this beautiful setting we had to work in:
     The trickling of the water in the pond complete with Koi serenaded us & everywhere you looked there was beauty to behold: 
     Complete with redwoods 
     "Mirror mirror on the garden wall"
     I was very pleased to see that our fearless leader Laura shared my affection for St. Frances
     & head planters ;) 

     Ok enough garden gawking! We each chose our pumpkin & got to work! 
 
   Ok the moss is glued on & it's time to start glueing all the succulent cuttings on. 
     It was fun to see everyone's different creations. 
     The beautiful Donalyn & Laura working on a beauty of a creation:
     Laura was taking some photos too & I can't wait to see hers. 
     TA-DA! Here are mine & Donalyn's masterpieces! Mines on the left & Donalyn chose the beautiful white variegated one on the right. Aren't they awesome (if I do say so myself)!? 
     Looking proud!

     I feel so blessed to have met these lovely ladies.


     As if the beautiful pumpkin wasn't enough, Laura sent me away with a bag full of clippings, 2 pretty plants, persimmons from her tree AND cookies & pumpkin bread to take home to my kids. What a loving & generous spirit! 
     Afterwards, Donalyn treated me to lunch at a historic downtown landmark restaurant "Original Joes." It's a 56 year old Italian restaurant with a rich history, wonderful oldschool ambiance & absolutely delicious food. It was so nice to get to know her better & we decided we were kindred spirits & have much in common. She's awesome & I'm blessed to have her as a friend. 
     I will enjoy my beautiful pumpkin for months to come & every time I look at it I will be reminded of this awesome day of creating & friendship! 





7 comments:

  1. Kim, Awesome blog! You're talents just continue to be revealed. It was fun seeing your day unfold with the great pictures. I'm glad you had such a fun day. I agree, your pumpkin is a ta-da piece!!!
    Also, Lauren did a great job getting you up and running on this cute blog. I'm a follower~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am so very impressed with this beautiful blog. No, it's not because you talk about your time in my garden but if I may say, you are a good writer and blogger. You are so darn lucky to have a beautiful daughter willing to help set you up on a blog. Looking forward to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful garden, beautiful succulent pumpkins, beautiful people, and BEAUTIFUL blog! I wish I was with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go starting a blog Kim! And you can never go wrong in Laura's amazing yard!!! I loved your pumpkin and your candy corn nails! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey kiddo, way to go! Great beginnings for sure and what a great time you had. I sure wish you lived closer. We might have to meet half way someday. That would be so much fun. Can't wait to see what you are up to next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your new blog Fave Seestor! It totally SUCCS!
    There's no one else I'd rather "follow", learn from and enjoy...than you!
    Good job and one request...More soon please!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the mirror reflecting the beautiful garden! and TRIP OUT on the lily of the valley mug and how that just happened, by NO coincidence I agree! Love that!

    ReplyDelete